Redbox On Demand: What You Need To Know
ByHenry T. Caseypublished 14 December 17
Redbox is joining the on-demand movies and tv shows streaming war with a new service slinging movies that haven’t hit Netflix yet.
Editor’s Note: This story has been updated per revised rental pricing.
The streaming game just got slightly more crowded. Redbox, the movie, TV show and video game rental service found at local supermarkets and drug stores, revealed Redbox On Demand today.
A video on demand and digital download service, Redbox On Demand will offer newer films and shows that haven’t hit Netflix and other platforms yet. Currently available in public beta on the Redbox website, Android and iOS devices, the Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Samsung Smart TVs, Redbox On Demand will be coming to more platforms during the beta.
With VOD rentals starting at $3.99 for 48 hours and digital purchases starting at $9.99, the service is likely meant for those who either simply can’t get enough content, or prefer à la carte purchases over the monthly subscription fees services like Netflix and Hulu offer.
In terms of competitive pricing, buying a new release from another service can often cost 50 to 100 percent more: Wonder Woman, for example, sells for $15 or $20, depending on where you want it. Redbox On Demand’s $3.99 rental price isn’t a deal by any stretch, though, tied with other providers at the low end of the pricing pack.
How To Get Redbox TV App In Canada On Android
Follow these steps to download Redbox TV app in Canada on your Android devices:
Redbox Sees An Untapped Streaming Market In Its 39 Million Kiosk Users
Outside of your Walmart or Walgreens or 40,000 other U.S. retail locations theres a Redbox kiosk where you can rent a new-release movie on DVD, Blu-ray or 4K for a few dollars a night.
Will those Redbox consumers make the leap to streaming?
Our consumers are value-conscious, Redbox CEO Galen Smith said in an interview with Decider this week. Theyre typically later adopters of technology who may not have made the full switch to digital, which is what makes our transition to digital so interesting. Were creating a one-stop shop for transactional video on demand, ad-supported content on demand, and more than 120 free, live TV channels.
Redbox launched its streaming app in December 2020, and its available on nearly every TV and mobile platform. Redboxs streamer is built right into the phone app you may already be using to reserve your DVD rentals.
This week, on the occasion of Redbox becoming a publicly traded company on the NASDAQ exchange, Smith spoke with Decider to talk about the companys streaming ambitions.
GALEN SMITH: One thing well build in the coming months is a channels platform. Instead of building a Redbox subscription service, well offer other subscription services to help match our 40 million consumers with digital streaming services that may not have a way to directly reach that consumer today.
So I could pay X dollars and get Curiosity Stream or Magnolias Selects right on the Redbox app.
Recommended Reading: How Much Does TV Repair Cost
New Channels With Streaming Movies Coming Soon
- Sony Canal Novelas: Dedicated to the worlds most popular classic telenovelas and modern serial dramas like Zorro: La Espada y la Rosa, El Mariachi and more.
- Canal Competencias: Dedicated to the most exciting reality competition shows from Latin America like Escape Perfecto, the Mexican adaptation of the hit SPT format Raid the Cage, which keeps viewers on the edges of their seats as contestants face their challenges.
- Sony Canal Comedias: Culturally relevant modern remakes from Latin America that will keep audiences laughing, featuring TVs most iconic sitcoms and comedy series like , The Nanny, and more.
- Everything 80s: Relive the decade of perms and shoulder pads! The unmistakable synth-pop sound is bound to remind viewers of all their greatest 80s memories.
- Tastemade en Espanol: Tastemade en Espanol is a Spanish language streaming network with more than 175 hours of programming.
- Wu-Tang Collection: Wu-Tang Collection TV is the worlds largest and best curated martial arts channel!
- Yahoo! Finance: Yahoo Finance is the leading source of business and financial news focused on providing trusted information with diverse perspectives for all ages and backgrounds.
Jacob started covering video games and technology in college as a hobby, but it quickly became clear to him that this was what he wanted to do for a living. He currently resides in New York writing for BGR. His previously published work can be found on TechHive, VentureBeat and Game Rant.
How Does It Work
Unlike Netflix, Redbox On Demand has a different user platform. Rather than pay a subscription fee, you pay for each movie, TV show season, or TV show episode that you want. When you rent a movie on Redbox, you have a 30-day period to stream it when you want. The first time you stream, you get 48 hours before the movie expire. You get to watch the movie as many times as you like during that period. If you would prefer to keep a movie forever, then you can buy it instead. However, not all movies in the library can be rented some need to be bought before you can watch them.
Any video you get from Redbox On Demand can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or phone for offline playback. A maximum of two movies can be streamed simultaneously from the same account. This means you can stream a movie on one device while someone else streams a different movie on another device but with the same account. The video progress is saved to your account so you can stop on one device and resume from the same place on another.
You can use Redbox On Demand on Android device, iOS, computers, Smart TVs, Roku boxes, and even stream to devices like Google Chromecast. Using the service earns you Play Pass points that can be used to rent movies from a kiosk.
See Also: Is 123 Movies Legal and Safe To Use?
You May Like: How To Watch Tiktok On TV
What Is Redbox Free Live TV
Rebox Free Live TV is an ad-supported video service you can watch almost anywhere you have a screen and an Internet connection. No subscription or registration is needed. Just open the app or visit the website and start watching.
Galen Smith, Redbox CEO, explained, The expansion of Redbox into live streaming television builds on the companys commitment to being the go-to entertainment destination for consumers wanting choice and amazing value. With Free Live TV, were now offering an unparalleled level of content choice through our kiosks, on-demand and now free streaming. We know what consumers want to watch and Free Live TV expands the ability to reach consumers and tap into the growing OTT market.
Redbox Free Live TV launches with nearly 30 channels that show movies and shows, including content from Lionsgate as well as Redbox content channels. Redbox plans to add an additional 10 channels to the service each month.
Categories of channels include News, Kids, Movies and:
Featured with shows such as Americas Funniest Videos and Food52.
TV with shows such as Forensic Files, Family Feud Best of Steve Harvey, and Got Talent Global.
Entertainment with shows such as Pet Collective and People Are Awesome.
From Redbox, other channels include:
Be Careful: Stream Safely
you may end up consuming copyrighted content illegallyDMCA notice or landing in legal trouble.
To stay safe, we advise that you always use a Good VPN like IPVanish whenever you want to stream using a third-party app. A secure VPN will encrypt your activities and securely tunnel your traffic to a server, based in a location of your choice. It will also spoof your IP address, which means you will browse anonymously and cant be traced .
You May Like: Greys Anatomy Reruns
How To Airplay Redbox On Demand Contents To Apple TV Via iPhone
Step1: Provide the same Wi-Fi connection to your Apple TV and iPhone.
Step2: the Redbox App on your iPhone.
Step3:Sign in with your Redbox credentials.
Step4: Go to the content you wish to stream.
Step5: You should have purchased the content before streaming it.
Step6: The content starts to stream.
Step7:Locate and click the AirPlay icon in the media player.
Step8: Now, choose your Apple TV.
Step9: This will stream the content to your TV screen which is connected to your Apple TV.
Important Facts About Redbox On Demand
Here are some things to be aware of before you choose to use Redbox On Demand:
- There aren’t any subscription options. You pay for each movie, TV show season, or TV show episode that you want to pay for.
- There’s a 30-day time frame during which you must start streaming a rented Redbox movie. Once you begin, you have 48 hours before it expires. You can watch the video as many times as you like during that period.
- You can buy movies if you want to keep them forever.
- Not all movies are available for rent. Some are only viewable if you purchase them.
- Videos can be downloaded to your computer, tablet, or phone for offline playback.
- If you own the movie or TV show, you can stream on up to five devices a simultaneously from the same account. If you’ve rented it, you can only stream on one device at a time.
- Redbox On Demand works on computers, iOS, and Android devices, Smart TVs, and Roku boxes, and it can stream to other devices such as the Google Chromecast.
- Video progress is saved to your account so you can stop watching a video on one device and resume it later on another device.
- Redbox On Demand lets you earn Perks points that can be used to rent movies from a kiosk.
Recommended Reading: The Chosen On Apple TV
How To Download The Redbox App & Watch Free Live TV & On Demand Movies On Samsung Smart TV
Redbox gives you free access to live TV and programs, as well as on-demand movie titles. However, free content may not include top-rated channels or movies. You may need to purchase or rent these titles if you want to watch them on the Redbox app on your device.
- To install the Redbox app on your Samsung Smart TV, press the Smart Hub button.
- Go to Apps.
- Type Redbox using the virtual keyboard on your screen.
- Highlight and select the Redbox app.
- Select the Download button on the Redbox page app.
- Wait for the installation to finish. Once done, click Open to launch the Redbox app.
Now that you have installed the latest version of the Redbox app on your Samsung smart TV, you can now start watching video content for free. To see the latest TV shows available on the Free Live TV section of the app, . To learn more about the movies on the Free On-Demand category, .
Redbox requires no monthly subscription cost but comes with advertisements when you stream on the app. However, you will need to sign up for an account to enjoy the benefits and perks exclusively available to Redbox users. to create your free Redbox account now.
Will you be watching Redbox Free Live TV and Free On-Demand movies on your Samsung TV? What will you binge-watch first? We are curious to know, so please tell us your story below.
What Is Redbox On Demand
Redbox On Demand is a video streaming service that allows you to buy and rent films and television shows that you can watch at home, some of which you can get for just a few dollars. This service is similar to the physical DVD service offered by Redbox because you choose precisely what you want to pay for whenever you want. Unlike the physical rentals, Redbox On Demand allows you to watch films and television shows without leaving the house. No need to have to get to a Redbox kiosk to get or return the video.
With Redbox On Demand, you get to watch your rented or purchased movies and TV shows on your TV, computer, tablet, and phone. All that is needed is for you to download the Redbox app on your device, log in to your account, and get access to your movies and TV shows. Different categories exist in the Redbox library, allowing you to easily browse through several movies and TV shows that you would like to rent or buy. Reviews from other users show up as well, letting you know how others liked what youre interested in. Plus, you can search what to watch by using its rating like PG-13 or G-rated.
Don’t Miss: Cast Oculus Go To TV
How To Install And Watch Redbox On Apple TV
February 8, 2021 by Micheal
We knew various ways and platforms to stream movies and TV shows. One such way is to rent them. Redbox is one of the known ways to rent or buy movies and TV shows. It is used and appreciated by many users due to its availability in online and kiosks as well. This article will show you How to Install and watch Redbox on Apple TV.
You can also read UnlockMyTV on Firestick
What Is The Best App For Watching Free TV
Try these free TV apps out and see which works best for you.
- Squid TV.
- Free TV. Free TV is an online free and legal streaming platform that curates all the free Live TV channels from around the globe.
- MX Player. We all know the MX Player.
Also Check: Screencast To Vizio
How To Subscribe To Redbox Free Live TV And Redbox On Demand In Canada
Subscribing to Redbox account is very simple. Follow these steps to get Redbox free Live TV and Redbox on Demand in Canada:
Redbox On Demand Service
Redbox On Demand is another way to watch! Stream new movies fresh from the theater plus thousands more without a subscription – just pay as you go. Rentals start as low as $1.99, and purchases are yours to keep in your Library. You can even download your rentals & purchases to watch anywhere, anytime – even offline. To watch on DVD or Blu-ray, head to any of our 41,000 Box locations nationwide.
You could follow the below steps to learn how to use Redbox On Demand service to play Redbox DVD rentals on TV:
You May Like: How To Watch Apple TV On Laptop
How To Stream Titles On Redbox On Demand On Apple TV
Step1:Launch the Redbox App on your Apple TV.
Step2:Sign in with your Redbox credentials.
Step3: Search for any movie or TV show you wish to stream.
Step4: You have to go ahead with either the Buy On-demand or Rent on Demand option to stream the title.
Step5: Choose your choice of video resolution.
Step6: Go ahead with the payment process. It is charged through iTunes.The cost varies according to your choice of quality of the title.
Step7: After the payment, you can watch the title you purchased.You can see your purchased titles on any device which has the same Redbox Account configured.
You can also read out Best Typing Software for PC
Lg TV Channels Adds Five Free Redbox Channels To Its Lineup
Redbox has signed a distribution agreement with LG Electronics to bring Redboxs free streaming streaming service channels to LG Channels. Now, LG customers can access some of Redboxs popular streaming channels including Redbox Free Movies and Redbox Holiday on their 2016-2021 LG Smart TV, including LG OLED Smart TV.
Redbox is known for being a destination for movies, and these FAST channels will bring a wide range of great movies and TV for viewers via LG Channels, said Chris Yates, General Manager of Redbox on Demand. From westerns to holiday favorites to nostalgia, LGs customers will soon have even more ways to interact with the Redbox brand alongside our streaming app.
Redbox will begin streaming the following via the LG Channels platform:
- Redbox Free Movies Movie lovers can watch the most popular movies streaming 24 hours a day completely free. Now streaming is the Academy Award-nominated City of Angels starring Nicolas Cage and Meg Ryan, The Postman starring Kevin Costner, and First Kill starring Hayden Christensen and Bruce Willis
- Redbox Rewind Watch favorite movies from the 70s, 80s, and 90s. Films streaming in December include Forever Young starring Mel Gibson, JFK starring Kevin Costner, and The Muppets Take Manhattan
You May Like: How To Stream Oculus Quest To TV