What Top Channels Does Hulu + Live TV Have
Hulus on-demand platform allows you to catch replays from all the hit shows from major networks like FOX, NBC, and ABC. You can also stream on-demand content from networks like AMC, Animal Planet, Comedy Central, the Discovery Channel, Freeform, FX, the History Channel, and much more. While you can catch replays of shows you missed, you’ll have to upgrade if you want to watch them live.
On the live TV side, Hulu offers over 65 channels in its base package. It’s a fantastic option for sports fans, as you gain access to five ESPN channels. You also receive the ACC Network, the Big Ten Network, the CBS Sports Network, two FOX Sports networks, the SEC Network, and the NBC Sports Network. Many of the sports channels like the Big Ten Network do not come in basic cable packages, so having them bundled with Hulu + Live TV is a great deal.
Hulu + Live TV is also family-friendly, offering content from the Disney Channel, Disney Junior, and Universal Kids. The inclusion of TCM, FX, HGTV, Lifetime, Lifetime Movies, TBS, and TNT ensures you have many movies and TV shows to whet your entertainment appetite. Meanwhile, avid news watchers have access to CNN, ABC News Live, CBS, FOX, MSNBC, and CNBC to stay in the know.
What The Experts Are Saying
Experts agree that although Hulu is behind other streaming services for original content, its a great value for those who can live with ads. Heres what we found across the web:
- In our comparison of the top streaming services here at Android Authority, we noted that Hulu is a step ahead of the competition when it comes to pricing if you dont mind ads, it offers one of the cheapest monthly subscriptions out there.
- In his updated 2020 review of Hulu, PC Mags Ben Moore noted that Hulu continues to offer a strong library of shows and movies, as well as a robust live TV option, but deducted points because Hulus original series are hit-or-miss and while it recently added offline downloads, theyre currently only available for premium subscribers. Still, it earned an editors choice badge from the publication.
- CNETs Alison DeNisco Rayome praised the value of Hulus ad-supported plan but wrote that If you use Hulu frequently or if youve really gotten used to Netflixs no-ads model and cant stand watching commercials the extra $6 per month is probably worth it to watch shows uninterrupted.
- In CordCuttings initial review of the Hulu + Live TV service at launch, Stephen Lovely was critical of the offering, writing that, In a market with at least three strong contenders, Hulu has arrived offering a service that charges more and offers less. Since the review was first published, the service has added more channels and increased Hulu + Live TV prices.
Whose Streaming Experience And Dvr Is Better
Hulu + Live TV supports 1080p streaming at 60 frames per second on the Apple TV , Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, select Samsung TV models, and the Xbox One. I reached out to my Sling TV representative for clarification on the streaming resolution of live content and will update this section with the company’s response.
Hulus live TV content supports 2.0 stereo audio, but select on-demand programming is available in 5.1 Surround Sound. Sling TVs support for higher-end audio is similar. Live TV streams are available in standard stereo audio, but some on-demand content supports 5.1 Surround Sound audio.
Hulu + Live TV supports two simultaneous streams, which falls short of Sling TVs support for a category-leading four simultaneous streams. If you opt for Hulus $9.99-per-month Unlimited Screens add-ons, you can stream on an unlimited number of devices at home simultaneously and from up to three devices at the same time everywhere else.
Winner: Hulu + Live TV
Also Check: How To Connect Universal Remote To Emerson TV
Is Hulu + Live TV Good
Considering all you get, Hulu + Live TV is a pretty sweet deal. Thats why weve named it our choice for Best Value among live TV streaming services.
You probably already know Huluits the on-demand service where you stream TV shows the day after they air or watch originals like Palm Springs and The Handmaids Tale.
But you may not have tried out the live version, the services bid to woo you away from cable and satellite. And at a base price of $65.99 a month, Hulu + Live TV has some serious woo.
We were already fans of Hulus growing slate of original series, including gems like Shrill, Woke, and Ramy. Hulu + Live TV sweetens the deal by giving us one less reason to click out of the app to watch a live TV streaming channel.
But, Hulu + Live TV doesnt carry several of our favorite entertainment and sports networks, and availability of local channels is spotty from city to city.
How Do Hulu Prices Compare To Fubotv
FuboTVs entry-level Starter plan is the same price as Hulu, but offers an impressive 110 + channels about 30 more than Hulu + Live TV. A third of its line-up is sports too, including networks like ESPN, FH1, and NFL, so its perfect if keeping up with the latest match is a must.
Although Hulu + Live TV recently added the NFL Network to its roster of channels and just in time for football season it can’t compete with the sheer amount of sports content available through Fubo. However, for overall entertainment, it’s an excellent option. It’s home to award-winning Hulu Originals like The United States vs. Billie Holiday, and addictive TV dramas The Handmaids Tale and Little Fires Everywhere. Plus, Hulu includes a variety of TV networks that aren’t currently available through Fubo, like A& E, Cartoon Network, Vice TV and CNN.
If youre heavily invested in major sporting tournaments and events, youll want to grab a FuboTV plan immediately and theres plenty of extra scope if your wallet can take the hit. But if you want the one-two punch of live TV with a hefty VOD library, then helloits Hulu + Live TV youre looking for.
Also Check: How Do I Get Espn Plus On My Smart TV
Network Partner And Premium Add
These add-ons give you access to additional live and on-demand content from a variety of networks and outside Hulu partners:
- ESPN+: $5.99/month. Watch live sports from the NHL, MLB, and more, including access to college sports. This add-on also includes ESPN+ originals like Peytons Places and Ariel & The Bad Guy.
- SHOWTIME: $10.99/month. This add-on is best-known for its selection of movies, such as 1917 and Hereditary. Youll also get access to TV series like Shameless and Your Honor.
- HBO Max: $14.99/month. One of the best on-demand libraries available, with network classics like The Wire and Game of Thrones, brand-new series like Euphoria and Lovecraft Country, and a wide selection of movies.
- Cinemax: $9.99/month. This add-on offers movies like Long Shot and John Wick: Chapter 3, along with original series like Strike Back and Warrior.
- STARZ: $8.99/month. A solid lineup of TV series, such as American Gods and Outlander. Youll also get access to plenty of movies, like Little Women and Jumanji: The Next Level.
- Entertainment : $7.99/month. This add-on for Live TV subscribers includes access to a wide variety of news and lifestyle channels, including CNBC World, Science, and Cooking Channel.
- Español : $4.99/month. Features Spanish-language content live and on-demand, including NBC Universo, ESPN Deportes, and Discovery Familia
If You Could Only Pick One Which Streaming Service Would You Choose
At first glance, less than 5% of the vote might feel low. However, our readers are spread worldwide, and Hulu is offered only in the United States. The other top results, except HBO Now, are available worldwide.
Read the full results: We asked, you told us: Netflix wins big, Apple TV Plus falls short
The phrasing of the question may also have affected the results. Netflix is the obvious first choice for many, but that doesnt mean that Hulu isnt worth a subscription as well.
However, it may show that Hulus goal of replacing both cable subscriptions and streaming platforms is less desirable than Netflixs streaming-only approach. Most consumers appear to be interested in cheaper streaming solutions rather than expensive cable alternatives.
Also Check: Can You Watch Apple TV Plus On Firestick
Hulu Live TV Vs Fubotv
When it comes to basic cable, the channels for both services are comparable, and neither one has access to Viacom. After a recent price hike, FuboTV now costs $64.99-$79.99 per month. That actually tips the scale FuboTVs direction if you dont factor in the Hulu streaming library.
What FuboTV has that Hulu doesnt have, outside of sports, is extra channels. The baseline Fubo package gives you 115 channels with over 130+ sporting events per year in 4K HD as an added bonus. FuboTV users also get 250 hours of free cloud DVR storage.
If youre a soccer fan, FuboTV is decidedly your best option. The sports streaming service offers more soccer-related channels than any other streaming service on the market, making it easy to follow games from around the world. Its also one of the better ways to watch NFL RedZone online, which is available as part of a 26-channel Sports Plus package for an additional $10.99 per month.
While FuboTV has more channels, its missing some big names that might be a deal-breaker for families. You dont get Cartoon Network for example. But if youre a TV fan, or part of a sports family, FuboTV has vastly more to offer subscribers. Hulu has a better streaming library, but FuboTV offers more for the same price.
Alternative Services & Available Channels
For some of us, $64.99 is a whole days work, so we want to know what were paying for. One way to get an idea of the value youre getting is to compare Hulu Live TVs offer to similarly priced live TV streaming services.
We choose to compare Hulus live service with YouTube TV and the FuboTV starter plan, because both cost exactly the same and are contract-free. Note that these are the basic plans compared, and add-ons are available for all three.
Also Check: How To Connect Oculus Quest 2 To TV
Whats The Difference Between Hulu And Other Streaming Services
Unlike other streaming services such as Netflix or Amazon Prime Video, Hulu offers new TV episodes from major networks often within 24 hours of their original air time. Netflix, on the other hand, offers entire seasons of shows after all the episodes have aired on their respective networks. In addition, the streaming service also offers a live TV bundle.
Hulu is also home to many original and exclusive shows and movies you cant access elsewhere many of which have been nominated for Primetime Emmy awards. Last year, its sketch series I Love You, America with Sarah Silverman, as well as The Handmaids Tale, The Act, and PEN15 were all nominated in some capacity. Of course, the list only gets longer when looking at previous years, with series like The Looming Tower and The Mindy Project joining the ranks.
For the 2020 award season, Hulus dark comedy series Catch-22 and The Act, a series chronicling the real-life story of Gypsy Rose Blanchard and her mother, Dee Dee Blanchard, were both nominated for Golden Globes.
Hulu + Live TV Vs Hulu Basic
All Hulu plans are contract-free and can be canceled anytime. There are no installation fees, equipment rental fees, or any home appointments required all Hulu plans can be set up by the subscriber from home.
There are a total of four Hulu plans, two of which are the live TV plans we review in this article.
All four plans come with:
- Access to the streaming library with pre-recorded shows and movies
- New on-demand episodes shortly after their air-date
- Access to Hulu Originals shows
- Up to six customizable user profiles
- Watch Hulu on up to two separate screens
Here are the main differences:
Additional channels added as of : BET, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Comedy Central, VH1, CMT, MTV, TV Land, Paramount Network.
You May Like: Sanyo TV Settings Without Remote
Hulu Live TV Channels
Hulu Live TV subscribers can watch local channels like ABC, NBC, Fox, and CBS along with over 60 other channels found on cable. Below is a list of all the channels you will find on Hulu. You can also go to Hulus website to see the channels available in your zip code. They include:
- History Channel En Español
How Do Hulu Prices Compare To Netflix
Hulus low cost for on-demand content was always going to be hard to beat. Netflixs cheapest plan is $8.99 and provides streaming to one device only youd have to pay $13.99 to get the equivalent two streams available with the $6.99 Hulu price.. Pay $17.99 for Netflix Premium, though and it provides a maximum number of four streams, and even sharper Ultra HD quality content.
If youve got a large household with divergent viewing tastes, and want to combine your On Demand and cable requirements at a very respectable fee, then its worth trying out Hulu + Live TV. Its $64.99 a month after your 7-day free trial, and you can add Unlimited Screens for $9.99 to keep your media-loving brood at home happy.
Yes, Hulu does fall short on quantity of content in comparison to Netflix: the streaming giant has just under 4,000 films to Hulus approximately 2,500. However, when it comes to live broadcasting, Netflix doesnt even attempt to compete with Hulu’s healthy roster of Live TV channels, which now also features the NFL Network.
Need more help to choose? Then take a look at our dedicated Hulu vs Netflix guide.
You May Like: How To Watch Tiktok On TV
Does Hulu Live TV Have Any Add
Besides the 65+ channels that comes with Hulu Live TV, subscribers can add extra channels with ease. More specifically, Hulu offers a $7.99 per month package with 11 additional Hulu TV channels. This package, called the Entertainment add-on, delivers a mix of news, crime, history, and finally, family cooking.
In other words, the Entertainment add-on is a great way to expland your family friendly TV pacakge without breaking the bank.However, if you can only pick one add-on we might go with a movie channel.
- American Heroes Channel
- NBC Universo
Hulu Vs The Competition
Hulu faces stiff competition in the streaming world, but it still manages to carve out its own niche. The only aspect it cant compete in, at least for now, is reach. The platform is limited to just the United States, so Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, and even Apple TV Plus win by default in most countries.
Heres a quick breakdown of how Hulu holds up against the rest of the big players in the industry.
Read Also: Att Uverse Favorites Shortcut
How Much Does Hulu+ Live TV Cost
Hulu+ With Live TV costs $64.99 per month for its ad-supported plan and $70.99 per month for its no-ads plan. However, Hulu has a current deal that lets users save $10 for three months from Hulu+ With Live TVs ad-supported plan, which is a $30 discount in total. The deal, which is available to both new and returning subscribers, allows users to subscribe for $54.99 per month for three months The sale ends on October 28, 2021.
Hulu And Hulu + Live TV Plans
Data effective as of post date. Offers and availability may vary by location and are subject to change.
The difference between classic Hulu and the newer Hulu + Live TV is made reasonably clear in the titles: Hulu is the original on-demand programming model Hulu + Live TV adds livestreaming cable and broadcast channels .
The common ground: Hulu on demand is a part of Hulu + Live TV, with no separate service hassles or secondary apps.
Like other live TV streaming services making moves into cord-cutter territory, Hulu and Hulu + Live TV dont deliver all the entertainment and sports options you may want. But together, they come closer than mostand dont forget the endless buffet of Seinfeld episodes.
You May Like: Watch Espn On Lg TV
How Much Extra Does Hulu Plus Cost
Hulu has three tiers of streaming service Hulu Basic, Hulu Basic No Ads and Hulu Plus Live TV. You can try each service for free during a trial period. Hulu Basic and Hulu Basic No Ads both have a 30-day free trial. Hulu Plus Live TVs free trial period is only for seven days.
After the free trial:
- Hulu Basic is $5.99 per month.
- Hulu Basic No Ads is $11.99 per month.
- Hulu Plus Live TV is $64.99 per month.
Hulu charges applicable sales tax per month, per service according to your state or jurisdiction.
What Makes The Two Packages So Different
1. For starters, Hulu promises that their Live with TV version allows you to watch content with limited commercials. This language is a little confusing as the regular Hulu plan is supposed to come with limited commercials as well. From what we can tell, it appears there are fewer commercials with this version as compared to the $5.99 version.
2. With Hulu Live with TV, you can stream over 50 live and on-demand channels. These channels include of the the premier news, entertainment and sports channels like ESPN, MSNBC and National Geographic – a feature absent on regular Hulu.
3. Something that is pretty cool about this particular package is that you can also stream live and on-demand content on your phone or other mobile devices while you are on the go. Even though you can watch regular Hulu on your phone, the difference is that live and on-demand content will not be available to you.
4. With Hulu Live with TV, you can stream via any of the popular streaming devices – Roku, Chromecast, Apple, Android TV, Fire TV and XBox as well select Samsung models.
5. Streaming on unlimited devices is an add-on for Hulu Live with TV .Enhanced Cloud DVR is also an available add-on to this service where you can save live shows you missed and watch them later.
There is certainly a lot to love about Hulu Live with TV.
Also Check: Quest 2 Cast To Firestick