How To Turn On Samsung TV With Alexa
Once you have connected Alexa to SmartThings, you have to ensure that both Alexa and the TV are on the same network.
Now, ask Alexa to discover new devices. The assistant will provide you with a list of all the available devices, and select and rename your TV.
Now, every time you want to turn the TV on, you can just ask Alexa to turn it on via voice commands. You can also turn it on using the Alexa app on your phone.
Voice Commands To Try
Youre now ready to start using voice commands with your Fire TV, but keep in mind that Alexa doesnt work with every app. Beyond Amazons own Prime Video service, the apps that Alexa currently supports include Netflix, Hulu, Fox Now, NBC, NBC News, Bravo Now, CBS, Sony Crackle, Freeform, Showtime, Showtime Anytime, STARZ Play, ESPN, and PlayStation Vue.
Within these apps, Alexa is at its best when you request specific shows, movies, or channels. Here are some examples:
- Alexa, watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine.
- Alexa, watch Brooklyn Nine-Nine on Hulu.
- Alexa, tune to ESPN on PlayStation Vue.
Alexa can also handle playback commands in supported apps. Try these:
- Alexa, pause and Alexa, play.
- Alexa, rewind or Alexa, rewind two minutes.
- Alexa, next episode.
Mentioned in this article
The Fire TV also supports searching for content, but the results here are mixed. Unless you have a Fire TV Cube , you cant scroll through the results without a proper remote, and some apps dont support searching at all. Here are some examples of voice search commands that work well:
- Alexa, show me James Bond movies
- Alexa, search for comedies on Netflix
- Alexa, search for sci-fi shows on Hulu.
Jared Newman / IDG
You cant scroll through search results by voice in apps like Hulu, but if you see something in the results you like, you can ask Alexa to play it.
Finally, to return to the Fire TV home screen from any app, say Alexa, go home.
Can I Use Alexa Plug To Turn On My TV
No, you cannot use a smart plug to turn on a TV. TVs today go into standby mode when they are turned off. Smart plugs work by cutting the power completely, so when you try to turn your TV on using a smart plug, the TV will only enter standby mode.
Can you turn TV on and off with smart plug?
Yes, smart plugs give you the ability to turn your TV and other devices on and off wherever you are. Smart plugs are devices that turn all your devices into smart devices. Using a smart plug, you can turn your television on and off.
Related Question Answers:
Don’t Miss: What Is Vudu Movies And TV
Your Samsung Isnt A Smart TV
Its important to note that your Samsung must be a Smart TV in order to connect, by itself, to your Alexa.
If you have an older model, or one that doesnt have smart capabilities, you may need to get something like a streaming stick or a streaming box, if you want to get wifi on your TV. Fortunately, devices like Roku sticks are increasingly being made compatible with the features of Alexa.
Are All Smart TVs Compatible With Alexa
Every model has its own features and benefits. Some of these features are hard to distinguish. Having a television that has Alexa built-in isnt the same as having a television that is Alexa compatible, for instance. Some Smart TVs are integrated with specifically with Amazons Fire TV, Roku or Android OS platform.
Don’t Miss: Is Google Play Movies & TV Free
Hey Alexa Help Me Wake Up
Alexa can start your morning routine before you’re even awake. Set a schedule that tells Alexa to slowly start turning up lights and start brewing your coffee. Once you’re awake, say, “Hey, Alexa, good morning” to trigger your morning routine. Set actions so that the Amazon Echo will read you the weather, give your email summary, run down what’s on your calendar for the day and let you know what’s going on in the news.
Who Is Better Alexa Or Siri
In fact, this question is difficult to answer unambiguously. All the time people are comparing Alexa, Siri, and other voice assistants. The first thing to consider before choosing which voice assistant is best is that the best one, depending on the purpose of use.
If youre considering a smart home system, its clear that Alexa will win out over Siri. However, when looking at audio support, Alexa supports audio playback to Sonos speakers. Siri can play audio on all connected speakers and Apple TV. If you need a virtual assistant to control your speakers, Siri is the best option.
Despite the fact that Alexa is the kind of device that can make life a lot easier, especially if you connect it to other devices. Even so, there may be situations where you need to use Alexas Do Not Disturb mode. Before you use Alexa Do Not Disturb mode, please note that Do Not Disturb mode is intended to work on any Alexa-enabled device.
Don’t Miss: How To Share Mac Screen With TV
Alexa Commands For Purchasing
- Reorder essentials from Amazon: “Alexa, buy more deodorant” or, “Alexa, reorder deodorant.”
- Track packages from Amazon: “Alexa, where’s my stuff?” or, “Alexa, track my order.”
- Order an Amazon Alexa device: “Alexa, order an Echo,” “Alexa, order an Echo Dot” or, “Alexa, order an Amazon Tap.”
- Add an item to your cart: “Alexa, add garbage bags to my cart.”
- Order an Uber or Lyft with their skills: “Alexa, ask Uber to request a ride” or, “Alexa, ask Lyft for a ride.”
- While listening to music in Amazon Music: “Alexa, buy this song” or, “Alexa, buy this album.”
- Find new music to purchase: “Alexa, shop for new music by .”
- Purchase a song or album from an artist: “Alexa, buy by .”
- Ask about deals: “Alexa, what are your deals?”
- For good recommendations on products, Alexa has you covered. Just say “Alexa, find me a good smartphone on Amazon,” and it will find products based on Amazon customer ratings and reviews.
Control purchases, shopping lists and notifications with your Echo device.
How Do I Get Alexa To Turn On My Lights
How to connect your Alexa device to smart lights
Don’t Miss: How Do I Connect My Laptop To My TV
Get A TV That Has A Works With Alexa Feature
If you are not interested in the Fire TV or Fire Stick devices, there are other TVs that can work with your Amazon Echo without them. Look for a special feature called Works with Alexa. TV models that have the Works with Alexa feature include Sony , Vizio , and LG . All these models work a little differently with Echo, so here are the step-by-step guides for each:
Set Up With The Remotenow App
The RemoteNOW app is available on:
- Android 4.0 or higher
Go to the app store on your mobile device and search for RemoteNOW.
Also Check: How To Set Up Disney Plus On TV
TV Doesnt Respond To Alexa Voice Commands
Add Skills From The Menu
Once the App is running, you will locate the search bar and add skills you want Alexa to have. Adding skills is straightforward. You only need to search for the skills and enable them within the App. The skills you have enabled will help Alexa control your smart devices.
Amazon Echo also comes in handy if you are looking to add skills to your Alexa. You only need to say the words Alexa enable then state the skills you want to add. For example, you can say, Alexa, enable the Wait Wait Quiz.
Read Also: How To Add Discovery Plus To My TV
Alexa Commands For Your Smart Home
Alexa can integrate with loads of smart home platforms, such as SmartThings, Philips Hue, Wink, Insteon, Lutron, Belkin WeMo and many more. Some require you to enable skills, and some don’t.
Here is a selection of the commands you can use for controlling your smart home, although there are dozens more.
- Turn lights on or off: “Alexa, turn on the lights” or, “Alexa, turn off the living room lights.”
- Dim the lights: “Alexa, dim the lights to 50%.”
- Change the color of the lights: “Alexa, make the living room lights red” or, ” Alexa, turn the lights to soft white.”
- Change the color temperature of the lights: “Alexa, make the kitchen lights a little warmer.”
- Adjust temperature: “Alexa, raise the temperature 1 degree.”
- Set temperature: “Alexa, set the temperature to 72.”
- Lock your doors: “Alexa, lock my back door.”
- Close your garage door: “Alexa, ask Garageio to close my garage.”
- Discover smart home devices: “Alexa, discover my devices.”
- Use IFTTT recipes: “Alexa, trigger .”
- Activate a scene : “Alexa, turn on Movie Time” or, “Alexa, turn on Bedtime.”
- Control GE appliances with the Geneva skill: “Alexa, tell Geneva to preheat my oven to 400 degrees” or, “Alexa, ask Geneva if my laundry is dry.”
- Locate a lost phone with the TrackR Lost My Phone skill: “Alexa, ask TrackR to find my phone.”
Alexa Commands For Echo Show
The Echo Show devices and Echo Spot are the only Echo speakers with touchscreen displays. This means you can tell them to show you things.
- Ask for what the Echo Show can display: “Alexa, what can you show me?”
- Show your calendar: “Alexa, show my calendar.”
- Show pictures: “Alexa, show my photos” or, “Alexa, show me pictures of cats.”
- View your cameras or other rooms: “Alexa, show the living room camera.”
- View movie trailers: “Alexa, show me the trailer for Wakanda Forever.”
- Movie showtimes: “Alexa, show me movie showtimes.”
- View the forecast: “Alexa, show me the weekend forecast.”
- Play YouTube videos: “Alexa, show me travel videos on YouTube.”
- Display recipes: “Alexa, show me a slow cooker recipe from Allrecipes.”
- View your Flash Briefing: “Alexa, play my video Flash Briefing.”
- See your timers: “Alexa, show me my timers.”
- Open a visual skill: “Alexa, open Uber.”
You can ask your Echo show to show you things using voice commands.
You May Like: How Does Amazon Fire TV Work
What Does Alexa Do Exactly
This device works in such a way that it works all the time. To give it a voice command the owner doesnt have to press any buttons. All you need to do is call Alexa by name and then ask Alexa for a task. While you dont need any other tools other than your voice to use Alexa, you can connect an Alexa device to your Mac as well with other devices.
In fact, there are a lot of possible uses for Alexa. Amazon has an app store called Alexa Skills that has over 100,000 apps. Using these skills you can get anything you can imagine what Alexa can give its users. The main purpose of Alexa is to create smart home features, because using your voice you can give many tasks so that your home can create the best environment for you. Its best to find out information from Amazon about using Smart Home Devices with Alexa.
Most often, people use Alexa to play music, turn on lights, order food from Amazon, make to-do lists, stream podcasts, and set alarm clocks. You can also provide information about the weather, traffic, sports, and world news. Alexa can also manage multiple smart devices, using itself as a home automation system. This list is non-exhaustive, as all these features on Alexa will be used differently by each person because everyone has different interests and ways of life.
Is My TV Compatible With Alexa
Whether you can control your TV with Alexa depends on more than just your knowledge of the best Alexa skills. For Alexa voice controls in most cases you need two things: a device with Alexa built in and a smart TV that supports Amazons virtual assistant.
With so many television models out there, it would be impossible to list every one with Alexa support, but here are a few pointers.
LG TVs with Web OS 4.0 and higher are supported , as are all TCL Roku TVs . Panasonic, meanwhile, has been helpful enough to include a full list of models from 2018 , 2019 , 2020 and 2021 with Alexa support. HiSense also has a list , as does Samsung , where the functionality was introduced to high-end 2020 sets, before being rolled out to all new TVs in 2021.
Some companies suggest you check for the presence of a built-in app to confirm support either way. Compatible Sony sets can be identified by the presence of the TV Control with Smart Speakers or TV Control Setup with Amazon Alexa apps, while Philips owners should on their home screen.
Read Also: How To Connect Lg TV To iPhone
How To Connect Your Samsung Smart TV To Alexa
Want more voice control? Here’s how to connect your older Samsung smart TV to Alexa.
Knowing how to connect your Samsung smart TV to Alexa means you can use an assistant other than Bixby to carry out verbal commands.
Setting up Alexa on your Samsung smart TV will depend on when your TV was made as to how you make this work. The best Samsung TVs from 2020 and 2021 shipped with the option built-in, for access either via the remote or hands-free, and 2022 TVs will follow suit. However, older Samsung smart TVs will need to pair with an Alexa device first , to send commands.
The functionality on offer will also vary depending on your model. Newer TVs have a wider selection of capabilities, while the 2018 and 2019 models mentioned here are more limited. That means for those older TVs, Samsungs Bixby offers more usability.
If you want to add Alexa capability to your Samsung smart TV, here’s how to make it work. Be sure to check out our guide on how to use your Samsung smart TV for more information on basic setup, settings and features.
How Do I Get My Firestick Remote To Turn My TV On And Off
Enabling CEC on Your Fire Stick For example, press the Home button on the Firestick remote and the TV should immediately turn on and display the Fire TV home screen. Turning off the TV is even simpler. Just tell Alexa to turn off your TV and she will do it for you.
How do I control my TV volume with my fire stick remote?
Pairing the Firestick Remote for Volume Control
How do I link my Amazon remote?
Go to Settings on your Fire TV. Select Controllers & Bluetooth Devices. Select Amazon Fire TV Remotes. Press and hold the Home button for 10 seconds to pair your remote.
Why is my Alexa voice remote not working?
The classic IT solution, try switching it on and off again. The simplest way is to pull the USB from the Amazon. Alternatively, sometimes the remote still works, but certain functions dont, in this case, you can try and hold down the Select + Play buttons together for 5 seconds to Restart the device.
Can Amazon Fire remote control TV volume?
If youve missed the remote set up prompt or moved your Fire TV stick to a different TV, dont worry! You can program your Amazon remote to any compatible TV which allows you to control the TV volume and turn the power on/off.
How do I pair my Amazon Fire TV remote with volume?
Also Check: How To Mirror From Your Phone To Your TV