How To Set Up And Use Apple TV Without A Remote
You don’t need a remote control to use your Apple TV. In this article, we’ll show you how to use your Apple TV without a remote.
The Siri Remote is one of the best things about the Apple TV. It allows users to quickly and easily navigate the streaming device and even use the personal assistant Siri to accomplish a number of different tasks like finding a specific movie or TV show to watch.
While the remote easily fits in a hand, its small size makes the expensive device prone to getting lost under the couch, or somewhere else equally annoying.
However, the good news is that you don’t need a remote control to use your Apple TV. In this article, we’ll be showing you a number of alternate ways to control your Apple TV.
Use Different Remote From Apple TV
Controlling your ATV with your iPad, iPhone, or keyboard is quite an advanced feeling. Its still the case that some people prefer the original remote.
Third-party remotes are another option for controlling the device. People mostly buy Universal Remotes to control their Apple TV.
You are able to connect multiple devices at once using a Universal Remote. So, its better to buy a Universal Remote rather than an Original remote which will be very expensive. Apple TV makes it easy to connect one.
The steps are as follows:
- The Apple TV should be woken up and the settings should be accessed.
- The Learn Remotes option is under Remotes and Devices.
- The process will begin once you click Start.
- Turn your new remote towards the Apple TV and make sure it is pointing at it.
- The new remote will have several buttons that you will have to press in response to the screen prompts.
- You will also find the directional buttons, the Select button, and the Menu button.
- It is crucial that you hold down the remote button until you can see the progress bar fill up.
- You can also give the remote a custom name once that is done to help identify it better.
A remote can also be easily deleted from an Apple TV
- You can choose Remotes and Devices by going to Settings.
- You can choose the remotes name here.
- You can now delete the remote by pressing the Delete Remote button on the next screen.
Setup Apple TV With Neither A Remote Nor Home Sharing Turned On
- I was going to say you can use the remote.app but I think you need home sharing already onJan 7 ’14 at 11:12
- Figured out a way, see my answer 🙂
I decided to answer my own question after 2 hours of figuring out ways around the problem that “If home sharing is not turned on, apple TV cannot be controlled with an ios device”.
Note that I am talking about a 2nd gen apple TV. A 3rd gen can be worked around by
You actually can get the 2nd gen synced with your ios, a little sneaky but it is easily managable.
Here is what you do…
Connect the apple TV to your laptop and reset to factory settings on the apple TV .
Now when apple TV powers up it will ask you for a bluetooth keyboard pairing if needed . New versions of apple TV software ask you for this pairing, hence the restore to factory + software update on the apple TV. NOTE: Restoring may not work on a Mac running Catalina, perhaps because Apple broke the functionality when they decided to remove iTunes. On MacOS 10.15.2 it gave an “unknown error ” and left the Apple TV stuck in recovery mode . However it seems to work fine on macOS Mojave which still has iTunes.
I do not own a bluetooth keyboard so I downloaded 1keyboard app from the app store for free .
Using 1Keyboard I could emulate a bluetooth keyboard functionality from my mac.
Save 20$ by not buying the remote 🙂
Hope this helps someone.
This suggestion worked
Here is what you do…
Read Also: How Much Is Spectrum Streaming Service
Or 3 Months Free When You Buy An Eligible Apple Device
Start apple tv without remote. Well the immediate answer would be you can’t restore without a remote, you need to restore via itunes. Click it to view the summary of your apple tv. When you are done with everything that is discussed in the above steps, then you can start to reset your apple tv without remote.
If a remote icon appears on the screen of the tv that your remote was paired to, then that means that it has been unlinked. Make sure you do not disconnect anything. If you have an apple tv , you need to use an apple remote.
Start apple tv without remote. Check the firmware and the information of your device. You can then control your apple tv by swiping the main navigation panel as you would your hardware remote.
Or 3 months free when you buy an eligible apple device. If that doesn’t work, there may be some other type of issue with the device. It will take some time for the apple tv to restore to factory settings.
Connect apple tv as usual to the tv with the hdmi cord and power cord. In itunes on your computer, locate the apple tv icon in the upper left menu of the page. Then yes, it will prompt to connect a bluetooth keyboard, should a user have one.
Alternatively, if the device is unresponsive you can use the apple tv remote to force restart the unit. I am in a different part of the country so i can’t go back and get the remote. Then yes, it will prompt to connect a bluetooth keyboard, should a user have one.
Change The Home Button’s Action
Apple’s TV app is your movie and TV hub. It keeps track of where you are in your favourite TV show and it’ll show you whether that movie you want to watch is included in your subscriptions, or if you’ll have to pay for it. It also keeps tracks of your local sports teams.
When you click the Home button on your Siri Remote, you’ll go straight to the TV app. That’s cool, but unfortunately the TV app isn’t where it needs to be yet . Until that moment comes, you’re better off changing the function of the Home button.
1. Head to Settings.2. Click Remotes and Devices.3. Click Home Button to switch to the Home Screen.
Now when you click the Home button you’ll actually get to, you know, go home. If you’re big on Netflix, this is a much easier way to get to all your content as, unfortunately, the TV app doesn’t have support for Netflix content yet.
Recommended Reading: Airplay TV Without Apple TV
How To Connect Apple TV To Wifi Without Remote
Apple TV has become the central part of everyones home, especially if they are big on entertainment. This is because the smart features are available and users can connect them to the internet and use the online programs.
However, people ask how to connect Apple TV to Wi-Fi without remote . So, if you are in the same boat, we are sharing the instructions and methods with you!
How To Use Apple TV Without A Remote
Once setup is complete, you can still enjoy the entire Apple TV experience without a remote. All you’ll need is an iPhone or iPad.
After being set up, and if your iPhone or iPad is running iOS 12 or later, there is a Control Center widget that can control the streaming device. We have previously detailed how to use the Control Center on iPhone and iPad.
Once the Apple TV is added to Control Center, tap the icon to begin. Make sure you’re on the same Wi-Fi network. You may need to enter a four-digit code on an iPhone or iPad that appears on the Apple TV screen.
On the top of the widget, you’ll select what Apple TV to control if there are multiple Apple streaming devices in a home. You can also control the Apple TV with the dedicated Remote app for iOS.
If you want to find out more about controlling your Apple TV without a remote, we have previously published an article detailing how to control your Apple TV with an iPhone or iPad.
Don’t Miss: How To Mirror To Samsung TV
Change The Apple TV Wifi Settings Without Remote
You have your Apple TV but no remote and need to change the WiFi settings?Read on.
Youâre on vacationsand as a good geek,youâre fully autonomous and packed:
- your Apple TV
- your iPhone
- a couple of ethernet cables
You forgot your Apple TV remotechiefly because you always use the iOS Remote App at home.
Now you try and change the Apple TV WiFi settings and oh horror,either you plug the Apple TV through the ethernet cableand you can use the iOS Remote App,or you unplug the cable to set the WiFibut the Remote App no longer sees the Apple TV.You are stuck!
My friends, there is a way out of catch 22 hell.
Your vacations are saved. No need to thank me )
Use iPhone As A Remote
Youre not just limited to using AirPlay to Mirror your Screen, you can also easily control the Apple TV with an iPhone through the Control Centers Remote Feature.
- For iOS 12 or later models and iPadOS 13 or later, the Apple TV controls get activated automatically if it detects that youve established the connections.
- If you dont see the Remote icon in your iOS devices Control Center, youll have to manually add the Apple TV controls to the Control Center by going to Settings > Control Center.
- Under the Customize Control menu, click the + button next to the Apple TV to activate the Apple TV controls on the Control Center.
- Once added, you can swipe up to open the Control Center and click on the remote icon to open up the Apple TV Remote.
- Turn on the Apple TV and connect it to the Internet using an Ethernet Cable.
- You can now configure your Wi-Fi by going to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi and selecting your Wi-Fi network from it.
- Follow the instructions to initialize the setup and enter the four-digit PIN onto your iPhone or iPad to complete the process.
Also Check: Where Is The App Store On Philips Smart TV
Setting Up Your Apple TV
Whether an Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K, getting your new Apple TV set up can be fairly simple. tvOS provides a couple of methods to set up your new box, one that’s fairly slick and painless and one that requires you to type a lot using the Siri Remote.
You can set up your Apple TV with your iPhone, which automatically drags over things like your home Wi-Fi network, iTunes, and iCloud accounts, and other essential settings. You’ll still have to enter some things manually, but the most important parts of your Apple TV’s setup process will be taken care of without a lot of hassle.
If you choose to manually set up your new Apple TV, you’ll need to enter everything, from your iTunes account credentials to your Wi-Fi password one by one.
How To Connect Apple TV Without Internet
On the Apple TV go to the basic settings and connect to the network created by the iPhone. This is almost all. Do not be afraid that you do not see the mode on your phone Wi-Fi and he’s still on 3G / LTE network. In fact, both devices see each other perfectly, as if they are both connected to the same router.
You May Like: How Much Does A TV Screen Repair Cost
Alternatively Treat Yourself To The New
Of course, you can still use the Siri Remote to control your Apple TV, which is probably the easiest option for most people. Apple released a redesigned version of the Siri Remote with the latest Apple TV 4K, and the new remote is thicker and less symmetrical, so it’s more comfortable to hold and easier to use in the dark.
You can purchase the new remote and it’ll work with your older Apple TV, too. If you’re looking for a different option, Apple lets you use an Xbox or PlayStation wireless gaming controller as an Apple TV remote .
What’s The Difference Between A 4k TV And A Smart TV
This means that on average there are many more pixels for a 4K TV, which is about 4 times the pixels for a 1080P device. In addition, 4K Smart TV offers wider color space, higher refresh rate, color depth, color space, gamma correction and more in settings. Apart from this obvious difference in specifications, there are many other differences.
Don’t Miss: How Do I Cast To My Tcl Roku TV
Controlling Your Apple TV With An Android Device
If youd like to use your Android device to control your Apple TV, then you need to download an android apple tv remote app. This app is called Air Remote and you can easily download it through the Google Play Store. The interface is easy-to-use interface and the app works great.
Now that you know how to connect to apple tv without remote, you dont have to worry about buying a new remote if you damaged or lost yours. Just follow our simple tips and youll be able to enjoy your Apple TV just as much with or without its original remote!
Using The Macbook As A Bluetooth Keyboard
- Switch off your iPhones Wi-Fi and Cellular Data, then connect it to your Mac.
- Connect your Apple TV to the televisions HDMI port and the Mac using the Ethernet cable and a USB-C dongle. Power Up your Apple TV.
- On your Mac, go to Preferences and choose Sharing. Under the Share your connection from field, select Wi-Fi, and under the To computers using field box, check only the following boxes: Thunderbolt Ethernet and iPhone USB.
- Also, Tick the Internet Sharing option in the Services field to activate sharing.
- On your iPhone, open the AppleTV Remote from the Control Center. Ensure that your AppleTV is identified in the app, and click it to connect and type the pin displayed on your TV.
- Youll need a Bluetooth Keyboard now, but dont panic if you dont have one. Download Typeeto to mount a Bluetooth Keyboard on your Mac for free. This makes your Mac device Bluetooth findable.
- Now go to the Remote feature on your iPhone to manage your AppleTV and connect your Mac as a Bluetooth device using your iPhone.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the AppleTV since you no longer need it. To manage the AppleTV and set up the Wi-Fi connection, use your Macs Virtual Bluetooth Keyboard .
- The arrow keys on your keyboard allow you to move about, while the ESCAPE and ENTER keys enable you to enter and exit options.
- As the Wi-Fi is configured, you can reconnect your iPhone to Wi-Fi. Ensure that your Apple TV and your Mac device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
You May Like: How To Airplay iPhone To Vizio TV
How To Connect Your Playstation Dualshock 4 Controller To Apple TV
1. Turn on your Apple TV and go to Settings.2. Go to Remotes and Devices.3. Go to Bluetooth.4. On the PlayStation controller, hold down the PlayStation and the Share buttons until the light on the black of the controller starts blinking.5. You should see the controller appear under the devices listed. Select it with the Apple TV remote and they’ll pair.
Troubleshooting Siri Remote TV/receiver Control
- If TV/receiver control isnt working with your Siri/Apple TV Remote, you may need to head to your TVs settings to turn on HDMI-CEC
- Apple highlights to look for settings with Link or Sync as each TV maker labels it differently this is the TVs settings, not Apple TV settings, so youll probably need to grab your TVs primary remote
- LG: SimpLink
- Sharp: Aquos Link
- Sony: BRAVIA Sync
- Navigate to Remotes and Devices > Volume Control > Learn New Device
Recommended Reading: Apple TV On Xfinity
How To Restore Or Reset Apple TV Without Remote
As mentioned above, you need a stable Internet connection, a computer with iTunes, and USB or USB-C cable. Note that your Apple TV 3rd generation needs USB Cable and 4th generation Apple TV requires USB-C cable. So, you should keep everything in place before following the method.
Now that you have put together all the essentials check the below-given guide.
Step #1. First off, you have to remove cables from Apple TV the cables include a power cord and HDMI cable.
Step #2. Then, launch iTunes on your computer it should be the latest version of iTunes on your computer.
Step #3. Now you need to connect your Apple TV with your computer using the respective cables. For Apple TV 4K, use USB-C, and for Apple TV 3rd generation or earlier models, use a micro USB cable. You are not supposed to use a lightning cable to connect your Apple TV.
Step #4. On iTunes, you can see the summary page for Apple TV if it is not there, you can click the Apple TV icon from the upper-left corner.
Step #5. Now click on the Restore Apple TV button.
The process will start. Make sure you do not disconnect anything. In a short while, your Apple TV will be reset without a remote.
Thats all, friends!