More To Enjoy In The Living Room
- Apple TV 4K delivers the most cinematic home theater experience, giving customers easy access to all their favorite entertainment on the biggest screen in the home, like award-winning shows and movies on Apple TV+, including Ted Lasso, The Morning Show, Greyhound, and Wolfwalkers, and other popular video services through the Apple TV app. Using AirPods, up to two viewers can enjoy private listening without disturbing others.
- Apple Music on Apple TV 4K turns the living room into a concert hall, offering multiroom audio and time-synced lyrics for millions of songs.
- Apple Fitness+ on Apple TV 4K brings studio-style workouts to customers in the comfort of their own homes, featuring a team of some of the worlds most welcoming trainers across 10 different workout types. The first fitness service built around Apple Watch, Fitness+ integrates key metrics from Apple Watch right on the big screen to offer a personalized and immersive experience that keeps motivation high throughout every workout.
- Apple Arcade on Apple TV 4K offers unlimited access to a growing collection of more than 100 premium games featuring new original releases, award winners, and beloved favorites from the App Store, all without ads or in-app purchases. Players can pair supported game controllers to enjoy games like NBA 2K21 Arcade Edition, SongPop Party, and Star Trek: Legends on Apple TV 4K and continue the action from iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
TVos 1: Whats Coming To The New Apple TV 4k
Apple is currently testing the tvOS 15 beta 4, which is available for developers and the general public. Heres everything coming this fall:
- For All of You: Browse a new row in the Apple TV app to find something that everyone in the house cant wait to watch.
- Movies and shows shared through Messages appear in a new row in the Apple TV app.
- Spatial Audio: Listen with AirPods Pro or AirPods Max for a theater-like experience with sound that surrounds you.
- Smart AirPods routing: Get an automatic onscreen notification to magically connect your AirPods.
- HomeKit camera enhancements: View multiple cameras around the house at the same time on your Apple TV.
- Room-filling stereo sound: Pair two HomePod mini speakers with Apple TV 4K and enjoy rich, balanced sound for everything you watch.
Remote Tips And Key Features Provided To Digital Trends By Apple:
- Ask Siri What should I watch tonight? and a menu of suggested films and shows will appear on the lower third of the screen, with all recommendations handpicked daily by editors to showcase whats buzzworthy.
- Double-tap the Home button on the remote and youll see the apps youve used most recently, allowing you to seamlessly switch between apps without having to go all the way back to the Home screen.
- Move your most-used apps to the top row of the Home screen for faster access. For example, add Netflix to your mix, and when the icon is selected, shortcuts to Netflix titles appear above. Just click a title to start watching.
- Easily organize apps on the Apple TV with folders.
- If you highlight a title in Up Next, press and hold, and youll get quick shortcuts like marking an episode as watched.
- You can add any iTunes movie to your Up Next queue using Siri just by saying Add this to Up Next on the movie page.
- Press the Play button on any title in Watch Now to start playing instantly.
- Ask Siri to Play TVShowX from your Up Next list to continue binge watching.
One of Siris most helpful applications is finding stuff you want to watch more specifically, finding 4K and HDR content you can watch.
Other search tricks include asking to see movies in 4K HDR from multiple sources, then refining the search by saying, show me only the science fiction movies.
Also Check: Can I Watch Discovery Plus On Lg Smart TV
What Apple TV Models Are There
Apple currently sells two types of Apple TV: the fourth-generation Apple TV HD from 2015 and the sixth-generation 2021 Apple TV 4K.
You may also hear these two devices referred to as the fourth- and sixth-gen Apple TVs. Or simply as the Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K.
There could be some confusion though because the fifth generation Apple TV, which launched in 2017, was also called Apple TV 4K. We have a separate comparison of the Apple TV 4K vs Apple TV 4K .
You may be wondering which Apple TV you have, or which one to buy, so we will start by running through the different Apple TV versions.
Comparing Apple TV 4k To 4th Gen Apple TV
So what all this boils down to for most people is that the big difference with the newest and latest Apple TV is that it supports 4K. And watching 4K content does look noticeably clearer and sharper. If your newer to viewing 4K content, its awesome!
Aside from that, anyone that enjoys gaming with the Apple TV will notice an improved experience with the newer 4K model .
The user interface looks cleaner but when it comes to launching apps, theres almost no difference in the time it takes to load .
The Siri experience is the same on both.
Your movie library is updated to 4K for free which is very cool. So any movie in your iTunes library that has the option to watch it in 4K, youll get that for free without having to purchase the 4K version of that movie.
So hopefully this comparison was helpful. If you have any additional questions or would like clarification on any of the points above, please dont hesitate to ask!
Also, if youre thinking about upgrading or still trying to decide between the two, feel free to post a comment below about your specific situation as well.
Read Also: Stream Quest 2 To TV
New Apple TV 6 Hardware
When Apple debuted the Apple TV 4K in 2017, it included the A10X chipset, more internal storage, and a built-in App Store.
The new Apple TV would still be aimed at 4K content, so a performance update would likely focus on an improved gaming experience or other technical features. With Apple Arcade gaining new games periodically, it makes sense to offer a more console-equivalent chipset in the Apple TV set-top box.
Apple could include support for 120 Hz content like video games. The latest gaming consoles enable gameplay up to 120 Hz and require powerful processors to do so. The iPad Pro operates at 120 Hz as well, so having Apple Arcade games support the faster refresh rate isn’t out of the question.
In late 2020, Apple launched its M1 chip on the latest 13-inch MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, and Mac mini. While Apple has designed custom chipsets for mobile devices since the original iPhone in 2007, its first desktop chip demonstrated that the company can make silicon that performs magnitudes better on a Mac than Intel’s chips with integrated graphics could. Given Apple Silicon’s years of impressive mobile results and surprising early Mac success, and because a plugged-in set-top-box doesn’t need to prioritize power efficiency, perhaps the next Apple TV will provide equally dramatic results in gaming.
New Apple TV 4k Vs Old Apple TV 4k: Siri Remote
If youve used the old Apple TV 4K, youll be pleased by the new remote. Gone is the touch surface it has been now replaced with a touch-enabled clickpad. This should give owners a lot more control over their navigation and is likely to be a huge improvement.
The new remote uses Bluetooth 5.0, a step up from the previous model’s Bluetooth 4.0. The newer remote should last longer on a charge than the old one, thanks to lower power consumption. Theres still an infrared controller, which will let you change the volume on pretty much any TV, soundbar or AV system.
The new remote replaces the menu button with a simple back symbol. The functionality hasnt changed here, as far as we can tell, but the new labelling makes more sense because the button has always gone back rather than to the main menu. To get to home, use the TV icon button.
Also useful is the new touch wheel, which brings waves of iPod nostalgia. Running your finger over the touch-enabled clickpad will help you scan through your shows smoothly in a way that was tricky with the old remote.
The new specs dont mention the inclusion of the accelerometer and three-axis gyro. Well have to test the new Apple TV to tell you if that functionality remains. Charging is still handled by a Lightning cable, and one is included in the box.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Cbs All Access On Lg Smart TV
New Apple TV 4k Vs Old Apple TV 4k: High Frame Rate
The headline functionality here is the increase in the maximum supported frame rate. Previously, the Apple TV supported 4K HDR video at 30 fps . This has now been increased to 60 fps.
Theres a lot of possible excitement here. Adding support for HDR video at 60 fps means that anyone with an iPhone 12 can make use of its Dolby Vision support at 4K/60 and stream to the box in the best possible quality.
It also opens Apple TV up to even more streaming options. While movies tend not to use high frame rates, TV shows sometimes do, which is important when it comes to sports. In theory, if your favorite sport broadcast has an Apple TV app, you might see games in HDR and at high frame rates in the future.
Check Your Input And Output Ports
The back of every Apple TV has distinct input and output arrangements, with the exception of the Apple TV 2 and Apple TV 3, which have the same arrangement.
All Apple TV devices have the same style power port, but here’s how they vary otherwise.
- Apple TV generation 1 is the only version with component video outputs.
- Apple TV generations 2 and 3 have an HDMI port, a Micro USB port, an Optical Audio port, and an Ethernet port.
- Apple TV HD has an HDMI port, a USB-C port, and a Gigabit Ethernet port.
- Apple TV 4K has only an HDMI port and a Gigabit Ethernet port.
Recommended Reading: How To Watch Mn Twins On TV 2021
Old Vs New Apple TV 4k: Is It Worth The Upgrade
Apple finally released a new Apple TV 4K, but is it worth upgrading from the first generation?
Apple has refreshed the Apple TV 4K, giving the streaming box a much more powerful processor, a new remote, and some other under-the-hood improvements. The big question is, are these features are good enough to justify an upgrade from the first-generation Apple TV 4K?
The good news is that the price is the same$179 for the 32GB variant and $199 for 64GBso if you were planning to buy an Apple TV 4K anyway, there’s no reason not to grab the new release.
But if you already own an Apple TV 4K, were going to look at the features of the new release compared to the old one to help you decide if its worth upgrading to.
Agree To Continue: Apple TV 4k
Every smart device now requires you to agree to a series of terms and conditions before you can use it contracts that no one actually reads. Its impossible for us to read and analyze every single one of these agreements. But were going to start counting exactly how many times you have to hit agree to use devices when we review them since these are agreements most people dont read and definitely cant negotiate.
To use the Apple TV 4K, you must agree to:
- Apples tvOS terms and conditions
- Warranty agreement
- iCloud terms and conditions
- Game Center terms and conditions
You can also optionally choose to provide Apple and developers with crash reports and app analytics.
Final tally is four mandatory agreements and one optional.
Video streams on the Apple TV 4K still deliver exceptional quality, but some of the frustrations we mentioned nearly four years ago still remain present in tvOS today. Apple has long enabled the box to match the dynamic range and frame rate of playing content, but not all apps have taken advantage of this feature. So if your preference in video settings is Dolby Vision with dynamic range matching enabled, youll still encounter some situations where SDR content looks unappealing due to forced HDR processing. Setting tvOS to SDR by default with matching enabled leads to the best outcome, though YouTube annoyingly doesnt flip over to HDR if you do this.
Heres just a sampling of streaming apps that have shown it so far:
Don’t Miss: When Is The French Open On TV
Apple Sells Two Kinds Of Apple TV: The 4k Apple TV And The 4th Gen Hd Model Here’s How The Apple TV Hd And Apple TV 4k Compare
- > Verdict
The Apple TV is Apple’s set-top box that enables you to watch films and TV shows on your big-screen telly through a raft of other online services including Apple TV+, Netflix, Amazon Prime and many of the OnDemand channels. Now in its sixth generation, the Apple TV has evolved a lot over the years there are currently three models to choose from, and a number of buying options for each.
In this feature, we’ll look at the different models of Apple TV and what each one offers – and costs – to help you decide which is the best for you. So before handing your cash over to Apple, let’s take a look at the different Apple TV models.
It’s important to note that various TV manufacturers now include the Apple TV app and AirPlay 2 support with their sets, plus Roku and the Amazon Fire include the Apple TV app. So you don’t need to buy an Apple TV in order to watch Apple’s content, or to stream to your TV from your iPad or iPhone. Read more about the TVs that offer Apple TV app and AirPlay 2.
Old Apple TV 4k Vs New Apple TV 4k Buyer’s Guide
In April 2021, Apple revealed the second-generation Apple TV 4K , bringing high framerate HDR to the Apple TV for the first time and the A12 chip for improved performance, alongside a redesigned Siri Remote.
This model replaced the first-generation Apple TV 4K released in 2017. Although the first-generation Apple TV 4K has now been discontinued by Apple, it is common to find it available at discounted prices with third-party retailers. Some other users who already have the first-generation Apple TV 4K may also be wondering if it is worth the upgrade to the second-generation model.
Should you consider purchasing the first-generation Apple TV 4K to save money, or do you need the second-generation Apple TV 4K? Our guide answers the question of how to decide which of these two Apple TV set-top boxes is best for you.
Recommended Reading: How To Watch Spectrum TV On Computer
Gaming Fitness And More
Youve got to hand it to Apple: Even though the Apple TV 4K is rapidly approaching its fourth birthday, it keeps getting new features.
In 2019, Apple added Apple Arcade, a subscription service aimed at casual gamers. To help with the experience, it expanded support for gaming controllers from the very restrictive list of made-for-iOS devices, to include both the Sony PlayStation 4 and Microsoft Xbox, controllers. Unfortunately, developers and gamers alike havent exactly made Apple Arcade a runaway success.
More recently, Apple announced its Fitness+ subscription service, a virtual set of workouts guided by professionally hosted videos and tied to the sensors built into the Apple Watch. We cant say yet how good Fitness+ is but heres how it compares to Peloton on paper.
The latest version of the Apple TV software, tvOS 14, brings with it some cool extras like picture-in-picture, the ability to monitor HomeKit-compatible security cameras from your TV, and support for audio-sharing when you pair two Apple or Beats wireless headphones to the Apple TV 4K.
A10x Fusion Vs A12 Bionic
The second-generation Apple TV 4K features the A12 Bionic chip. The A12 Bionic chip powered the iPhone XS, XS Max, and XR in 2018, as well as the 2019 versions of the iPad Air and iPad Mini, and the 2020 entry-level iPad.
The A10X Fusion chip is older than the A12 and was first introduced with 2017’s iPad Pro models. The A12 is a 2.49 GHz hexa-core chip and is slightly more powerful than the A10X, which is a 2.38 GHz hexa-core chip.
While processing power is not an absolute priority with a set-top box, the Apple TV 4K’s more recent A12 chip will generally be more capable than the A10X. Whether it comes to playing games, app launch speeds, or simply general responsiveness, the A12 is likely to be more snappy.
The A12 isn’t necessarily a clear winner in every aspect, however, as the A10X actually outperforms it in some graphics benchmarks thanks to its additional graphics cores, so comparative performance may depend on the type of content.
Through progressive updates to tvOS, the A12 will guarantee better performance over time and will be more future-proof than the A10X in the first-generation Apple TV 4K.
Apple TV Models & Features
On certain models, you can actually look at the back of the set-top box and examine the ports and connectors. The number and types of ports can help you identify which Apple TV model you have! Otherwise, there are some other identifying features of the various generations of Apple TV.
If you’d rather jump to the Apple TV specs for a specific model instead of scrolling through, you may also click one of the following links: