How To Get The Apple TV Remote App Back On Your Home Screen
Since Apple no longer ships the Apple TV Remote as a separate app in the App Store, some users may miss having it as an icon on the Home Screen. Luckily, it can still be added using Shortcuts.
Shortcuts is a powerful tool that lets users choose any number of actions to tie to a single button press. Customize the Apple TV Remote shortcut to perform whatever actions you’d like, even operating smart lights or opening a specific app on the Apple TV.
We chose a custom icon we made with Apple’s SF Symbols. There are plenty of icons on the internet available for free or in premium icon packs to customize this launcher however you like.
Pairing With An Apple TV
According to Apple, the first steps depend on what type of remote you have: * On an aluminum Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Right buttons for 6 seconds. * On an earlier, white Apple Remote, press and hold the Menu and Next/Fast-forward buttons for 6 seconds.
If the pairing is successful, the Apple TV will display a chainlink symbol. Now, the device can only take commands from that remote, and that remote will only give commands to the device.
Using The Macbook As A Bluetooth Keyboard
- Switch off your iPhones Wi-Fi and Cellular Data, then connect it to your Mac.
- Connect your Apple TV to the televisions HDMI port and the Mac using the Ethernet cable and a USB-C dongle. Power Up your Apple TV.
- On your Mac, go to Preferences and choose Sharing. Under the Share your connection from field, select Wi-Fi, and under the To computers using field box, check only the following boxes: Thunderbolt Ethernet and iPhone USB.
- Also, Tick the Internet Sharing option in the Services field to activate sharing.
- On your iPhone, open the AppleTV Remote from the Control Center. Ensure that your AppleTV is identified in the app, and click it to connect and type the pin displayed on your TV.
- Youll need a Bluetooth Keyboard now, but dont panic if you dont have one. Download Typeeto to mount a Bluetooth Keyboard on your Mac for free. This makes your Mac device Bluetooth findable.
- Now go to the Remote feature on your iPhone to manage your AppleTV and connect your Mac as a Bluetooth device using your iPhone.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from the AppleTV since you no longer need it. To manage the AppleTV and set up the Wi-Fi connection, use your Macs Virtual Bluetooth Keyboard .
- The arrow keys on your keyboard allow you to move about, while the ESCAPE and ENTER keys enable you to enter and exit options.
- As the Wi-Fi is configured, you can reconnect your iPhone to Wi-Fi. Ensure that your Apple TV and your Mac device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
You May Like: How To Get Cable On Fire TV
Siri Remote Or Apple TV Remote
If your remote still isn’t working as expected, try these steps:
If you can’t pair your Siri Remote or Apple TV Remote , make sure that your Apple TV is updated to tvOS 14.5 or later. You can use the Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to navigate your Apple TV to check which version of tvOS you have.
If you still need help, contact Apple Support.
How To Unpair Apple TV Remote
If the status light on your Apple TV rapidly blinks thrice while pressing the remote keys, without any onscreen response. You need to unpair the Apple TV remote and pair new Apple TV remote to control your Apple TV.
Here is how to unpair Apple TV remote from your 4th generation Apple TV
1.On your Apple TV go to ‘Settings’ and then hit ‘General’.
2.Click on ‘Remotes’ from the main menu of Apple TV and select the one that you wish to unpair and then press ‘Unpair Apple Remote’.
3.Upon successful unpairing of the Apple TV remote, you can find the broken chainlink icon over the remote icon on your Apple TV. This Apple TV can now be successfully paired with a new Apple TV or Siri remote.
Read Also: How To Hook Up Cable TV In An Rv
Add The Apple TV Remote To Control Center
- If you have the latest version of iOS or iPadOS, the Apple TV Remote is automatically added to Control Center.
- If you have an earlier version of iOS, manually add the Apple TV Remote to Control Center. Go to Settings > Control Center, and tap Add next to Apple TV Remote.
To use the Apple TV Remote with an AirPlay 2-compatible smart TV, add your smart TV to the Home app and assign it to a room.
The Apple TV Remote in Control Center works with Apple TV 4K, Apple TV HD, Apple TV , and AirPlay 2-compatible smart TVs only.
Using Apple TV Remote To Control Volume
To set up the Apple TV remote to control volume:
Keep in mind that the remote can only control the volume for the TV or the receiver. It cannot do both at the same time.
Note: Sometimes, the volume on the remote might work automatically, so you may not need to go through the steps above.
You May Like: What Happens When Your TV Screen Turns Green
How To Launch The Apple TV Remote App
Apple has provided several shortcuts for launching the Apple TV remote app. The primary launcher is within Control Center, represented by a remote icon.
When connecting to the Apple TV via the Apple TV Remote app, it creates an AirPlay 2 connection.
This means the Now Playing content in Control Center and on the Lock Screen will show what is playing on the Apple TV. A remote icon in the Now Playing widgets in either location will launch the Remote app.
Any time a user opens an app on the Apple TV that asks for text or password entry, nearby iPhones on the same network will be prompted to enter the information via their keyboard. This notification will launch the Apple TV Remote app automatically.
How To Pair And Unpair Apple TV Remote
Apple TV, just like iPhone and iPad, is also an intelligent and versatile digital media player. However, either Apple TV or Apple remote may run into issues at unexpected times. In case your Apple TV remote stops working, you may need to unpair and pair Apple TV remote to get out of the trouble.
Normally, your remote will connect to your Apple TV automatically, but if that isnt the case you need to pair your remote manually. Although there are different types of Apple TV remotes, they pair with the Apple TV in a similar way.
In this article, we will give you the most detailed steps to pair Apple TV remote and unpair it.
Read Also: What Is The Best 60 TV To Buy
How Do I Use My Android To Control My Apple TV
Using the AnyMore Universal remote app, you can control Apple TV from your Android device. Select Control my WiFi Devices Apple TV in the app, then select your Apple TV from the list of nearby devices. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Remote Apps and Devices > AnyMote-Smart Remote.
You may also like:
Time For A New Remote
If your Apple TV still wont respond to it, the remote is partially or fully damaged. You can buy a new Apple TV remote on Amazon or Apples website. The Siri Remote costs $59, while the regular Apple Remote retails for $19.
Sodiq has written thousands of tutorials, guides, and explainers over the past 4 years to help people solve problems with Android, iOS, Mac, and Windows devices. He also enjoys reviewing consumer tech products and binge-watching comedy series in his spare time. Read Sodiq’s Full Bio
You May Like: How To Cast To Fire TV From iPhone
From The Apple TV Menu
- For this method, make sure your remote is in close proximity to your Apple TV.
- Go to the Settings app and then tap on General.
- On the main menu, select Remotes and then Pair Apple TV Remote.
- When the pairing process starts, you can see a message right above the remote icon on your Apple TV.
- Now, once the pairing process is done, your Apple TV will accept commands from the paired remote.
How To Use Your iPhone As A Remote For Apple TV In Ios 16
How to use the Apple TV Remote app
AppleInsider is supported by its audience and may earn commission as an Amazon Associate and affiliate partner on qualifying purchases. These affiliate partnerships do not influence our editorial content.
The iPhone has a built-in Apple TV Remote feature that is a swipe and tap away at all times. Here’s how to get the most out of this handy tool.
Apple used to offer the Apple TV Remote as a separate download from the App Store. It removed the app and integrated it as a system-wide feature in 2016.
If you still have that legacy app installed, go ahead and delete it because it doesn’t work well anymore in iOS 16. The built-in system-wide Apple TV Remote app is much better thanks to being modernized and up to date.
Even though it doesn’t have an app icon in the App Library, the new system-wide Apple TV Remote software works as a fully functional app once launched. Users can see it in the app switcher and quickly open it by swiping between apps.
You May Like: How To Watch Ion TV Without Cable
How To Reset An Apple TV Remote
There are several ways to reset your Apple TV remote, but the easiest and the one method that works for every model of remote is to simply unplug your Apple TV device.
1. Physically unplug your Apple TV and wait at least six seconds.
2. Plug your Apple TV back in. Wait for the home screen to reappear. Once it has, try to use your remote to see if this has reset the connection.
How To Connect Apple TV To Wi
RobotPoweredHome is reader-supported. When you buy through links on my blog, I may earn an affiliate commission. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ive made Apple TV the center of my entertainment system. I watch shows on it and use HomeKit Secure Video to check whos at my door on it.
It has become an indispensable part of my HomeKit Smart Home. But it hasnt always been the best of times.
Ive had to deal with my fair share of issues with the Apple TV, like the time the main menu was blank or even the time there was no sound whatsoever.
I even took the Apple TV with me when I moved to a different state. When everything was set up at my new place, I sat down to catch up on a few shows, only to realize that I didnt have the Apple TV remote.
I guess Id left it behind while moving. I couldve done without it, but since I had a new Wi-Fi network, I needed to set the Apple TV up with the new network.
So I had to do some research on how to connect Apple TV to Wi-Fi without the Remote.
Swipe down from the top-right corner to bring up the Control Center and tap on the remote icon to get the Apple TV Remote.Connect to Wi-Fi by going to Settings > General > Network > Wi-Fi.
Ive gone into detail about how to enable this feature in the settings, and how to use a Bluetooth keyboard or even a MacBook to type in the Wi-Fi password.
Read Also: What Is Apple TV Subscription
Types Of Apple TV Remotes:
There are two types of Apple TV Remotes:
How To Pair An Apple Remote With Apple TV
Also Check: How To Add Apple TV Remote To iPhone
Apple TV: Connecting To Home Or Office Wifi
While you must be connected to a working WiFi to start streaming, setting up will also need your internet so make sure youre prepared.
On the Apple TV menu, go to Settings > Network > WiFi > Your WiFi name
Press the back button to return and continue browsing your favourite shows. If theres a problem connecting to your WiFi network, you can forget the device and reconnect. If the problem still persists you must update your Apple TV software.On the contrary, you can try using an Ethernet wired connection if the wireless isntworking.
Use iPhone As A Remote
Youre not just limited to using AirPlay to Mirror your Screen, you can also easily control the Apple TV with an iPhone through the Control Centers Remote Feature.
- For iOS 12 or later models and iPadOS 13 or later, the Apple TV controls get activated automatically if it detects that youve established the connections.
- If you dont see the Remote icon in your iOS devices Control Center, youll have to manually add the Apple TV controls to the Control Center by going to Settings > Control Center.
- Under the Customize Control menu, click the + button next to the Apple TV to activate the Apple TV controls on the Control Center.
- Once added, you can swipe up to open the Control Center and click on the remote icon to open up the Apple TV Remote.
- Turn on the Apple TV and connect it to the Internet using an Ethernet Cable.
- You can now configure your Wi-Fi by going to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi and selecting your Wi-Fi network from it.
- Follow the instructions to initialize the setup and enter the four-digit PIN onto your iPhone or iPad to complete the process.
Recommended Reading: How To Put Netflix On TV
Here Is How To Pair Apple TV Remote Alternatively
1. While using your 4th generation Apple TV remote or Siri remote, make sure to stay within the Bluetooth range. It is recommended to have a clear path between the remote and your Apple TV for better signal reception.
2.Ensure that your Apple TV remote is charged at least for 30 minutes through a USB wall charger/lightning USB cable.
3.After pointing your Apple TV remote 3 inches away from the Apple TV. Press and hold the ‘Volume Up’ and ‘Menu’ buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds. Put the remote over the Apple TV, in case prompted for completing the pairing.
4.Disconnect the wall power outlet from your TV and wait for 6 seconds. Connect them again and see that the connection has been established.
We Spent Dozens Of Hours Researching So You Can Get Your Apple TV Remote Up And Running Again In No Time Flat
You depend on your Apple TV remote for so much of your entertainment, so, understandably, you might find yourself feeling a little cranky when it stops working correctly.
Dont fret too much about your Apple TV remote not working. We can walk you through how to fix Apple TV remote problems so that you dont have to contact Apple Support.
Recommended Reading: How Clean Samsung TV Screen